Knockwurst and Sauerkraut
I’ve had the itch to use my homemade sauerkraut in a dish for a while now, and when I passed an” old school” German Pork Store I knew I had to have some good Knockwurst to compliment my fermented masterpiece!
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 slices cooked bacon, cut up
- 1 cup beer (I used a Sam Adams Black Lager)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fully cooked knockwurst, bias-sliced into 2- to 2-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint of homemade fermented sauerkraut
- In a Dutch oven or large pot cook onion and bacon until onion is tender but not brown; drain fat.
- Stir in beer.
- In a 2-cup glass measure combine the water, cornstarch, brown mustard, molasses, caraway seed, allspice, and pepper; stir into bacon mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the knockwurst and sauerkraut. Cook, covered, 15 to 20 minutes
I got the recipe for this at CDKitchen. I modified it a bit since I didn’t have rutabaga or apples.
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to keep the content train rolling