Beans and Rice are a staple of most food storage programs, and cooking them well could be a skill worth it’s weight in gold if you ever need to dive into your emergency preps.
I like to experiment with a variety of recipes and this one came to me through a Peurto Rican friend. The main ingredient in these beans are Sofrito. I was lucky enough get some made fresh from a friend and hopefully someday I can pry the recipe out of his hands.
- 2 Slices of thick cut bacon (diced)
- 1 Tbs of Bacon Fat
- 1 1/2 Tbs of Sofrito
- 1/2 tsp Adobo
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 8 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 15.5 oz can of Pink Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup White Rice
- Make the rice according to directions.
- In a medium saucepan melt the bacon fat and add the bacon.
- When the bacon starts to sizzle add the Adobo and Garlic Powder.
- Add the Sofrito and let it cooks for a minute.
- Pour in the can of Tomato Sauce and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for a few minutes until they are warmed.
- Laddle the beans over the rice.
They came out awesome! We ate the entire amount between just the 2 of us. It easily makes a meal and the pork chops I made weren’t even necessary.
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to keep the content train rolling